Monday, July 9, 2012

You "ALWAYS" Were A BLACK QUEEN...

Just the other day...
While driving down Lake Shore Drive...

I heard Tupac Shakur's, "Dear Mama".

I lost my Mother in September of 2007...
She succumbed to Cancer on the 25th.

"A day I'll ALWAYS remember"...
"Because that was the day"...
(LOVE those Temptations!)

My youngest Sister, Nannette and I,
Spent the last 15 months of her LIFE...

Caring for her...Loving Her!

During that time,
My Mom, and I would DISCUSS...
EVERYTHING!

I wanted to hear MORE about her Childhood,
MORE about her LIFE...
I just wanted MORE!

I KNEW that those conversations...
Would have to last a LIFETIME!

The USUAL lines...
Between MOTHER and DAUGHTER...
Began to "blur".

Our relationship "transitioned",
To WISDOM... (That would be Her!)
Continuing to "impart" WISDOM...
To her FIRSTBORN....(That would be Me!)

But,
When I think about it...
That's how it ALWAYS was!
(I guess NOW I Really learned To LISTEN!)

She ALWAYS had SO MUCH...
To GIVE...
To TEACH!

And, I STILL had SO MUCH to LEARN!

As I watched her ENDURE...
Chemotherapy...Radiation...
Multiple Hospitalizations...
Her SUFFERING...
Near The End...
(Just BROKE my HEART in TWO!)

I wouldn't KNOW...

Until 3 years LATER,

When I was DIAGNOSED...

With Breast Cancer.

That God had "allowed" me...To WITNESS...

Her GRACE...Her HUMILITY...Her MAJESTY...

As she "struggled"...

Just...To...Breathe!
(He was PREPARING Me!)

As her LIFE ...
Was "slipping" away...
She joined us at her bedside...
While we sang,"I'm on the Battlefield for MY LORD"...

WHO...Among Us?
Could STILL Praise God...
While "fighting" for EACH BREATH!

My Mother In DEATH...
LED me to LIFE...
During My Breast Cancer Journey.
(I TOLD you! She STILL had SO MUCH to GIVE!)

"Just the THOUGHT of YOU"...
(Natalie Cole "sings" it Best!")

Brings Smiles...Laughter, and YES...Tears!
"And...I FORGET to Do"...

My Memories of Her...

That "Phenomenal Woman"
(The Original!)

I was BLESSED...
To Call...Mom.

Has a Place in My Heart...
Only She CAN occupy!

Why Do I Write This Blog?

Because she ALWAYS believed I could!

Why Do I Love My Daughter...My Family?

Because she CONSISTENTLY demonstrated...

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE!

How Did I SURVIVE Breast Cancer?

I JUST Followed... HER Example...

"I'm On The Battlefield For My Lord"....

Until Next Time...

"I'll ALWAYS...LOVE YOU, MA"...

Robbie Watson Banks Cannady...

No comments:

Post a Comment