Sunday, June 17, 2012

Color Him Father...

Growing Up...

I ALWAYS knew who my "biological" Father was.
His name was...Charles Lewis Banks.
I talked to him on MANY occasions,
And, spent time with him.

He bought my Luncheon "outfit"...
A lavender gauze dress...
That I "pleaded" with him... For...Weeks...
To buy!
There was this "boutique"...
Across from my High School.
All the "well-to-do" girls...Shopped there!

So, I just "had" to buy my dress from,"The Source!"

He came to my Graduation...Proud...Beaming

Just like a Father should...I was his "firstborn!"

By the time he died...I loved Him...
After ALL He was my Father!
I felt I had even gotten to "know" him...
Just a "little" more...

The day before he died...We talked...
For "hours" on end...
My Marriage...My Mother...
Why he had been "absent"...In my life.

What I thought was a "new" beginning for us...
Well...God had "other" plans!

I was "raised"...By my "Step-Father".
I don't like to USE that term...

Because MY definition of a Father...

Is...

Someone who GIVES me advice,
When I need it...And, WIPES away my tears,
When I didn't "heed" His wise consul!

Someone who "sits" at my bedside...
When as a child...I thought the "witch" in my wall...
Was going to GET ME!

Loving Me...Caring for Me...Feeding and Clothing Me...
In "spite" of...My CONSTANT protestations...

"YOU ARE NOT MY FATHER!"

It takes a SPECIAL kind of Man...
To RAISE another Man's children...
Like His OWN.

I remember my FIRST pair of Cowboy Boots...
He bought them...
(There's QUITE a story behind those boots!)
One Day...I'll share it with you!

I LOVE the Man...Society labels...
My "Step-Father."

My Mom died shortly before...
My Breast Cancer diagnosis.

It was my "Step-Father"...
Who was at my Doctor's Appointments...
He LISTENED intently to my "cries"...
Over the LOSS of my Breast.

He made me LAUGH...When laughter was needed!
(Breast Cancer can be "serious" business!)

He listened...WHENEVER...I "called"...
ALWAYS reminding me...
"Everything WILL be alright!"
That God WILL see me through!

He sat QUIETLY...
As the Oncologist "explained,"
My Chemotherapy, and Radiation Regime.
And, when He DIDN'T understand...
He was MAN enough to say...
"Doctor, Can you explain it AGAIN..."
Just ONE MORE time?

What can I do?

But, call this man...FATHER!

Jimmie "Poppy" Cannady...

There's a song that goes...

"I think I'll COLOR Him Father"...

"I think I'll COLOR this MAN...LOVE!"

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment