Sunday, January 29, 2012

Just One Of The Girls...

A group of us were out Friday Night, for a Birthday Celebration. We were at this new Sushi Restaurant that opened this summer in River North.Union Sushi...yum! We were drinking, (Yes...I'm "back" in the saddle again!TGFT!thankgodforthat!) eating...the conversations were flowing...The restaurant was crowded. And, the music was just the right mix of ,"Let's get up... get down, and get funky!haha!" THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN...I stood up...and Danced! Mind you-there's NO dance floor. We were seated upstairs...Nice "comfy" couches. One of the ladies decided to get up, and join me...The more the merrier I say! Besides...Who wants to dance alone? I just kept on dancing....Whenever the mood (or was it the sake margarita's?) so inclined me. I did an Interpretive Dance with a spoon and, fork (imagine that, and NO classical training!).You had to be there,haha! The group even composed a song on the spot to accompany me! The lyrics were...Spoon and fork....Spoon and-you get the picture! I did the Swim...I even did that "cool" Batman dance that Adam West used to do on the original Batman Series...You know the one...He would put both hands up-and slide them across his face...I moved up, and down...Side to side...Remember...Shake it (I did!). Don't Break It (I didn't!). I haven't felt that FREE ...(Woman, thou art loosed!)  in "quite" some time! I'm one of the few African American women, along with Oprah (at least that's what she says...) that is "rhythmically challenged"! So, in the past, I always felt so self-conscious about my moves. But, tonight...I was...Tonya,"Queen of the Dance Floor"!. I wasn't Ssshhh! You know she's battling, Breast Cancer...I fought my way back, to earn my place again...I'm just "one" of the girls!...As the evening progressed,(and, the drinks continued to flow!) "everyone" would get up, and dance right along with me. We were having a GREAT time-so why not? No one questioned why I kept dancing...Had they asked-I would have been "happy" to oblige. I'm dancing because I feel HAPPY...I'm dancing because I feel FREE...I'm dancing because once again...I'm just ONE of the girls... Not "the" girl with Breast Cancer...Anyone want to form a Soul Train Line with me?...Until next time...This is Tonya Hackney wishing you...LOVE... PEACE...And SOOOUUULLL!

No comments:

Post a Comment