Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Just What The Doctor Ordered...

My mom died, just two years "shy" of my Breast Cancer diagnosis. My Mom was QUITE a woman! My parents had been married for "years" before God "called" her Home to Glory...The two of them were quite a team. My Mom played "Straight Man" to my Dad's "comedic repertoire"! Richard Pryor... "Beware"! So, when I received my diagnosis, my Dad took on a dual role. Becoming both Mother and Father to me. For those of you who don't know my Dad, who is ALWAYS joking around...Expecting him to be serious...Well, let's just say- I thought the prospect of that happening, was SLIM and NONE!

He surprised me! You know you're never too old! When I needed Richard Pryor...He was MORE than willing to oblige! He would say things like..."Girl, don't no man care if you got titt---! You STILL have a vagina, don't you?" Yes, my silver haired, AARP Card carrying father, would say things like that to me! It made me laugh...which was a "welcome" switch from ALL the tears I constantly shed! (Disclaimer: For those of you that are easily "offended"-I apologize!) Ha,ha! But, I WARNED you! I said he thought he was Richard Pryor! My Dad became "just" what the Doctor ordered! My Mom, and I could talk about anything. Nothing was "off limits" once I became an adult. So, my Dad was stuck with discussing topics like, "Chemo and Menopause", "Dating After Breast Cancer", and I know he HAD to love me to sit through MULTIPLE variations of..."Dad, do you think anyone can tell this is a prosthesis"? "Should I wear it or not"? He NEVER disappointed me! He would just let Richard out, and say Fu-- them if they do! " You can't help that this thing happened to you, Baby"! He was loving when I needed to be "held". He said the most thoughtful  things to me! But, most of all, when "Richard" showed up-He ALWAYS "cracked" me up! He mastered "quite" the juggling act for me...Everytime I looked up- He was there! At Doctor's appointments...Before and after EVERY Surgery...Coming by my house- to "check up" on me. The memory of it...Well, it makes me smile....I NEVER had to ask...He was "always" there! He was just what the Doctor ordered...I MISSED my Mom terribly! I "cried" out to her TOO many times to mention! I don't care how OLD you are...When you are SICK...you want your Mother! But, I must admit...I'm GRATEFUL she didn't have to see me like that...I BELIEVE all things ARE in DIVINE Order. My Mom was "cheering" me on from Heaven. Even occasionally whispering in my Dad's ear... I can hear her telling him..."Jimmie, Be WHAT SHE NEEDS! Our oldest "baby" is suffering...But, God told me...Everything is going to be alright"! ...I got "choked" up, with just the thought of my Mom saying those words...He was...And, to THIS day, continues to be...Just what the Doctor ordered...Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment