Sunday, January 22, 2012

No Hard Hats Allowed...

You know last month, I had to have my yearly "Gyne" follow-up. Ladies, you know that's something we DREAD doing evey year. But, once you've had Cancer, EVERY Doctor's visit takes on a life of it's own! Since my regular Gynecologist had moved out of state, this was my first visit with my new Doctor. And, of course, because of my "history" this new Doctor wasn't going to leave ANY stone unturned! EVERY Doctor's visit is so "nerve wrecking" because once you've been diagnosed with the unimaginable...You think to yourself, "Okay...Now what"? But, on this trip, I was able to find a little humor in the situation. Of course, she asked me about STD's, How many sexual partners I had, and when I began my period. Then she asked me a question I wasn't prepared for-she asked, "When was the last time you had sex?" And, I looked at her, then thought for a minute...This is 2011, I was diagnosed in 2009-so if memory serves me...January 2009! She seemed surprised-she said, "Really"? I said,"YES!" Then she went on to tell me, "Well, you know it's okay now." I looked at her, looked down at my post surgical breasts, or what would one day become my breasts, and said..."Okay for you-still a NO, NO, for me...!"

Looking at my body, I really understand why the word "construction" is embedded in the spelling of the word. That's what my body feels like....It's "UNDER CONSTRUCTION". I should be used to it by now. Since my diagnosis, I've had a Lumpectomy ( removel of the cancerous region in my breast), in hopes of "saving it". Now, when that was unsuccessful, because the cancer had metastasized (which in cancer terminology means RAPID growth!), I had to have a mastectomy (which here we go again, with this "new" cancer language I had to learn!) which means a complete, and utter removal of one of my "girlfriends"! A moment of silence please, for my left breast, 36 B Cup...Exit- Stage right.....Then a year later, on a ROUTINE follow-up, my Breast Surgeon "found" something....My initial reaction..."Again"?...The rest of my language was TOO vulgar to repeat!" I've ALREADY worked out forgiveness with the Lord about it, thank you!" Then I had to have a Biopsy-you have to wait a WEEK for the results (@#$%^&*!)...Now her comes the good part....NO CANCER! I had two of my,"sisters in pink" with me for support, and we celebrated like it was 1999! Chile, we had "church", and just plain "danced" for joy ! My Surgeon, who is all of 5 ft.even joined in! To see us all in celebratory mode.....Quite a memory! So, is it ANY wonder after the roller coaster ride I've been on the last few years, why I would choose to remove the remaining breast, "scrap" it all....And, start anew with Reconstruction? No Hard Hats allowed with this type of "construction"....But, I do hear a faint sound of drills in the distance....Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment