Saturday, January 21, 2012

On the Road Again...

As of November 2011, I'm 2 years "Cancer Free"! I always had some confusion as to what date do you use to mark the yearly celebration of your "Cancer Free" status. I thought, that since I had my mastectomy in January of 2010, and received my first "clean" Pathology Report ( That's cancer terminology, for your Report Card!) that had the words printed EVERY Breast Cancer Diva can't wait to read..."No remaining Carcinoma!" that, that was the date to Celebrate! But, I've since learned (From a good source at the American Cancer Society) that your "Official" Birthday is considered from the date of your Initial Diagnosis...With that information out of the way- It's been 2 years, and counting....I'm holding my breath, because UNTIL it's been 5 years without a reoccurance...You are NOT considered cured! But, when I made the 2 year mark...I did just like Whitney Houston's character Savannah-I closed my eyes and...Exhaled! Just a little....

When I was initially confronted with my Breast Cancer diagnosis, I chose to just have my Surgeon remove the one breast that contained cancer. I naively thought that one breast was better than none (how littlle I knew!) But, looking at that one breast, and that one breast looking back at me-affected my mood, my demeanor, my outlook for that day- in ways you can't begin to imagine. On the occassion of those days, I rose to the challenge of being my "Better Self" (Which were few, and FAR between,let me tell you!) The sight of that, the new "me", made me feel invincible! I had conquered Breast Cancer! That was my STORY and I was sticking to it! But, on most days, if I'm going to be honest with you- the sight of that one breast, caused the tears to flow, and flow, and FLOW....I was grateful, I was healed. I could look back over my life, how does that song go? "I could truly say...I have a testimony!...But, I still felt disfigured. I always thought I could handle whatever came my way. I come from a line of STRONG women, who had overcome so many things...I knew in my mind, that a women isn't TRULY defined by what she looks like, but what's within...But, my eyes saw otherwise...So, who was I kidding? Surely, not myself! That one breast was a constant reminder that I had Breast Cancer! You may find it hard to believe, but even NOW  it STILL opens the floodgates...When I say out loud...I...HAD...BREAST...CANCER! With the tears I've shed...I should be a paid Spokeperson for Kleenex...If anyone knows an Agent...So, after going back, and forth about Reconstruction (It takes 3 surgeries!) I thought, "Who in their right mind would "voluntarily" subject themselves to that after ALREADY undergoing, 3 surgeries...Chemotherapy, and Radiation. But, it FINALLY came to a " boiling point".I decided for my SANITY it had to be done! So, on September 29th, 2011-I took the plunge...I had the FIRST of my three surgeries. So, Ladies... I'm on the "Road to Reconstruction." Next stop..."C" cups!

No comments:

Post a Comment