Thursday, April 12, 2012

I HAD Breast Cancer...Now What?

I've been hearing the word,
"Transitioning"...
ALOT lately.

I'm even taking a Class,
Appropriately named...

Cancer Transitions.

I've gone back to work...
I've resumed most of the Activities,
I took part in...

Before Breast Cancer.

I look, smell, sound...
"Feel" good.
(You get the picture!)

Haven't I already transitioned?

A few days ago...

My answer would have been a,
Resounding...

YES!

But, recently...

AFTER an encounter,
With someone who hasn't,
Had to deal with a "Health Crisis"....

I couldn't give you the same answer...
With as MUCH...

Confidence.

Here I am...Thinking,

Girl, "You got it going on" !

Until...

The "mere" mention...
That I HAD Breast Cancer...
CHANGED the way a person "interacted" with me.
(Truth telling time!)

I saw someone I hadn't seen in years...
(Okay, it was a GUY!)

He "remarked"...
"How the years had been kind to me".
And, how "fantastic" I looked...

I couldn't disagree...
He has eyes...Doesn't he?

We spoke a few times...
Looking good, huh?

Well at the MENTION of my...
Breast Cancer...(Past tense!)

ALL bets were off!

The tone of our conversations...
CHANGED!

I thought for a minute...

I STILL look the same,

Nothing...

Had changed about me...

Oh, right!

I HAD Breast Cancer!

I gave it even MORE thought...

My response...

YES! I HAD Breast Cancer...

SO WHAT!

I've known IGNORANCE,
Because of the COLOR of my skin.

But, IGNORANCE because of my diagnosis.
(That's a NEW one for me!)

The "old folks" have a saying...

"You know where you've BEEN"...
"But, not what lies AHEAD of you"...

Cancer...Isn't "gender" specific...

Not EVEN Breast Cancer!

It can KNOCK on ANY door...

And, if it's yours...

How would YOU like to be treated?

Hmmmm......

Until Next Time...



No comments:

Post a Comment