Thursday, April 19, 2012

"To Whom MUCH Is Given"...

As I watched the Evening News today,
I heard some "alarming"...
No "distressing" news!

The State Of Illinois,
Is "threatening"...SEVERE
Medicaid cuts!

They're "millions" in DEBT!

My Treatment...

PAID for by a Medicaid funded Program,
IBCCP...The Illinois Breast & Cervical Cancer
Program.

You're probably thinking...

What does this have to do with me?

I RECEIVED my Treatment...

Why am I CONCERNED?

It DOESN'T "affect" you...Anymore!

True...My Treatment...
PAID IN FULL!

But,
What about the OTHERS?

Should I just say...Nothing?
ALLOW Women...To Die?

I've worked my ENTIRE Life.
I'm a Nurse...By Profession.

But, when Breast Cancer...
Came "a calling"...

I had JUST returned to work.
Off, caring for Parents...
My Mom...I LOST to Cancer...
My Dad...He survived!

Let me Impart some INFORMATION...

This Program...Serves...
Women who are UNINSURED...
Or UNDERINSURED...

With the "proposed" Medicaid cuts...
What HAPPENS to them?

Let me REFRESH your Memory...
5 Women...5 African American Women,

DIE...Yes, DIE!...Daily...
From Breast Cancer!

Due to the inability to ACCESS Treatment,
And, the LACK of INFORMATION,
About Treatment Programs...For the UNINSURED!

Knowing this...
How can I just think...
I got MINE...

I FIRMLY Believe...
Part of the reason I was diagnosed...
The Lord KNEW...
I would not just go QUIETLY...

Once, I became AWARE...
Of the disparities that EXIST...
Between DIAGNOSIS...and, MORTALITY,
For African American Women.

It's HEARTBREAKING...

The Legislators in Springfield,
Making these DECISIONS...
HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE!
Provided by OUR TAX DOLLARS!

They were ELECTED by Us...
But, I think they FORGOT...
They have to ANSWER to Us!

I ask this question...
Mr. & Mrs. Legislator...

"Just HOW do you sleep at Night?"

KNOWING Women WILL DIE?

I NEVER thought...IF...
Illnesss came to my door...

I would be UNINSURED...FRIGHTENED...
UNPREPARED...

Mr. & Mrs. Legislator...
I'm SURE you feel the same...

It is written...

"To whom MUCH is given...

MUCH (even more!) is REQUIRED"

It's not ALWAYS...

Someone else...
Illness,
Has NO REGARD..To POSITION...
Social Standing...In our Society...

I've worked my ENTIRE Life...

But, when Breast Cancer...

"Knocked" on my DOOR...

Until Next Time...


No comments:

Post a Comment