Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Hope...

I'm sure I've mentioned it before...
But, each month,
I receive, an injection of a drug called Zolvadex.
It helps with the specific type of Breast Cancer,
I was diagnosed with.
Yes! There are types!
I was HER 2 Positive,
I have friends...
Who were Triple Negative,
ER Positive...You get the picture!

This Cancer "stuff",
Is like learning a WHOLE new language.

So,
I was in OIS,(Outpatient Infusion Services) Wednesday,
(Another "teachable" moment...)
I receive my injection, where I was given Chemotherapy.

The Nurses know I LOVE to talk.
(I have the GIFT of "gab"-no less!)
And, they wanted me to meet,
Two "new" Breast Cancer patients,
That had JUST begun Chemotherapy,
THAT DAY.

I remembered...
My very FIRST time...

My sister, Stephanie "ALWAYS" accompanied me,
To MY treatments.

I thought back...
How I "BOLDLY" took the elevator to the 10th floor.
And, "stepped" into the UNKNOWN...
It was February 25th...2010.
You will NEVER forget that FIRST time...

Full of "Hope"...I wanted to live!
Full of "Fear"...Because it wouldn't be easy!

I did...And, it wasn't!

What I wanted them BOTH to KNOW...
You WILL OVERCOME this disease!

It's funny...
One of them said,"You look good. You smell good".
I laughed...I said, "Girl...This IS what Cancer looks like AFTER".
You make it through...

Then I realized...
She thought...She didn't know...
WHAT Cancer "looked" like "AFTER"
She didn't KNOW,
What would remain...

An, OMG! Moment for me...

1 in 8 Women,
Get diagnosed with this disease.
So, it's VERY likely,
That in YOUR lifetime...
You WILL know,
SOMEONE affected by Breast Cancer.

My Hope...To put an END to this disease...

To "borrow" a line from Dr. King...

"I Have A Dream"...
That "ONE DAY" we WILL live,
In a world "FREE"...of Breast Cancer.
This is "MY" Hope.

I've been to the Mountaintop...
I've seen the Promised Land...
I may not go there with you...

Until Next Time...



No comments:

Post a Comment