Saturday, February 4, 2012

I'm ONE of the 99%

Like all of you, my "Sisters in Pink"..I'm sure you were "outraged" By Susan G. Komen's "initial" action to STOP funding FREE mammograms for "Poor" women who come to Planned Parenthood for their Healthcare needs. I've been sharing much of myself with you, through this Blog...To make you laugh, sometimes you cry. But, the MAIN purpose is to INFORM you through my journey, my experiences with Breast Cancer. I'm probably MORE outraged then most. I am among the "Poor" that needs to utilize that model of FREE Service. I didn't use Planned Parenthood, but I did get help through the IBCCP (Illinois Breast & Cervical Cancer Program). A MEDICAID funded Program at Mercy Hospital in Chicago. For women like me, who are EITHER uninsured, or UNDER insured. Those Free Services ARE crucial to END the disparity in Breast Cancer survival  rates between the "haves" and "have nots". Here is MY story...

My Mom was diagnosed with Cancer in the summer of 2006. It became "increasingly" apparent to me that my Father had his "hands full" attempting to care for my Mother on his own. I'm a Nurse. I've been an LPN since 1987. I was working through an Agency, full time, when my Mom was diagnosed-so I decided to "cut" some days at work, to assist my Father, with my Mother's care. I eventually cut those days to none. But, what do you do? I had a GREAT Mom, who gave SO MUCH. I NEEDED to give at least a LITTLE of that back!  Part of the reason I started this Blog was because of something she said to me. Sadly, my Mom, lost her battle with Cancer, a year later, September of 2007. So, you're thinking..."Back to work for me, huh"? NO...My Father had been "hiding" a very serious illness from us at the time, we were "dealing" (attempting to!) with my Mom. A year later... He's "missing" some parts-But, he made it! So FINALLY I return to work on a full time basis. Everything is going well. Overtime galore (that's "catnip" to Nurses!). I make a verbal request to HR, to  remind her I want to be enrolled in the Company's Health Plan, after my 90 Day Probationary Period has ended. Well, the 90 days came... and gone! The HR person, "dropped" the ball...failed to get me enrolled. She said, "Sorry, I'll  process you in the NEXT Enrollment Period." I was angry, understandably, but, because I've NEVER had ANY serious health issues...I didn't make a federal case out of it. Now, you KNOW how this kind of story ends...Predictably, you know what occurred! I find a lump several months later...Diagnosis: BREAST CANCER! Believe me- You DON'T ever want to know what that felt like...NO INSURANCE and a BREAST CANCER Diagnosis....We'll FINISH this story tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment