Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Morning After...

Wednesday morning, so you know where I was yesterday-My Plastic Surgeon. The time is drawing near- I don't know how MUCH more FLUID I can take! I raised my arm afterwards, to grab my bag-and, it felt as if I had just been TACKLED by a Linebacker from the NFL...

At the Plastic Surgeons Office, my "Pink Sister" coalition, resembles the rainbow. I have two Hispanic "sisters" (or more, it just depends!), one Polish "sister", and two to three African Americans. Naturally, we are all in DIFFERENT stages in our Reconstruction. So, while my "sisters", and I were talking....This "bystander" (female of course!) said,"Oh, my God! You're getting implants, why would  you do that?" (She was OBVIOUSLY, eavesdropping!). I looked at my sisters...Then, at the woman, and I responded, "Uh, I don't know why, but maybe it's because Breast Cancer TOOK the ones I was born with!" Her look was incredulous...

Moral to the story...When you EAVESDROP...Before you respond, LISTEN to the ENTIRE conversation, why don't you! Or, hey, just don't eavesdrop at all...

I woke up today, PRAYING that this pressure in my chest had been ALLEVIATED...Well, I think God "chalked" this prayer up to, "No, PAIN, No GAIN!" Who knew He had a sense of humor?

We were all "marveling" yesterday that one of my Hispanic "sisters" whose furthest along...Had her "nipple" Reconstruction last week. Nipples? Yes...That was the BIGGEST news of the day! When you are going through Reconstruction...There's this "obsession" with Breasts!...Whoever is "ahead" in their journey...Like a Mother Hen...

My Polish "sister" just finished Radiation, and is in preparation for her Reconstruction. I noticed she was still wearing her wig. I asked to see her hair (We ask that of each other, AFTER Chemo). Her hair HAD started growing back, but I understood  why she STILL wore her wig. I was the same way with my Head Wraps...You continue to SEE  this BALD woman looking back at you! My turning point was when my nephew, Dustin said to me, "Auntie, I PROMISE you, you have hair ALL over! So, PLEASE stop wearing those Head Wraps!" I encouraged my sister the same way...But, I added, "You are BEAUTIFUL , and so is that NEW hair"...

I LOVE going to my Plastic Surgeon (Except for the FLUID filling aspect of it!). Because I get to see my "sisters" every week...It's encouraging...We talk.We laugh.We keep each other informed...Women with different backgrounds, different experiences...Brought together by this "horrific" disease...But, SISTERS in EVERY sense of the word...Our bond, in a word-"priceless"!  Life affirming...And, I ONLY had to get Breast Cancer to JOIN this Sorority...I always wanted to be a part of something "BIG!"...Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment